This website was created on January 27, 2018.

Pilot Scale Model

Update: January 27, 2018

Jeffery (team member) began the design of the pilot model in October of 2017. It's design has been approved by the LSU Health and Safety. We also got approval for the parts and Jeff has already ordered them and began construction last week. A certified welder was hired to weld together the necessary components. Jeffery has prepped and delivered the frame to LSU's campus. He will attempt to dry fit the pipe and begin installing components next week. Stay tuned!

Update: February 6, 2018

Jeffery (team member) and Derek Staal (team member) installed pipe onto the pilot model. We also have running water for the model. We are still currently waiting for parts and sensors.

Update: February 11, 2018

Not much to update on this front. Dwyer had some parts backordered so we were delayed delivery until this week. Jeff is hoping that when the parts are delivered we can begin installing them and have it running water and air by the end of the week. When that is accomplished it will be a rinse and repeat process for wiring and installing electrical components. Derek and Jeff will be heading up that aspect. If everything goes according to plan you can hope to see the fully realized Pilot model in 2 weeks. We are also discussing with our advisor, Dr. Tyagi, about effective ways of gathering video on this model. We have tossed around the idea of security cams fixed along the ladder or a camera along a guideline. We plan on ironing that minor issue out this week. Fingers crossed...

Update: February 19, 2018

The Pilot model is now running slug flow. Jeffery and Derek spent the week installing the sensors that came in and the injection for the air. Below is a video of the model running slug flow. They also have the wiring for the model installed. So all that is left is to actually connect them to the Arduino Mega. We are also going to have the Mega and wires installed inside of an electrical box to protect it from the weather.

Update: February 25, 2018

Derek and Jeff spent the week working toward the correct circuit for the wiring. After a few trips to the store and a couple of late nights Derek and Jeff had the Arduino ready to be fixed to the model. The picture below show the development of the circuit. A problem did arise during initial tests, apparently the one of the wires connected was too small gauge and melted after it was installed. After assessing the damages and ensure that there was no other damage to personnel or property the wire was replaced. The Pilot scale model is ready for initial tests to ensure the equipment is functioning properly. These tests are expected to be performed this week. 

Update: March 4, 2018

We had to order another H-bridge for the Pilot model. Turns out that the original one was broken  in the fire. We spent some time out at the PERTT diagnosing this problem over the week. We are also in the middle of programming the GUI as well. We should be on schedule to have the Pilot model with fully functioning GUI finished at the end of next week.

Update: March 12, 2018

We worked to make the Pilot model electronics protected from weather. Jeff installed a roof onto the pilot model. We had to make some adjustments to the return of the water at the top of the riser. The return was tank was extended and a hose was installed to allow for the excess water in the tank to be drained off. We have developed the GUI for the Pilot model.

Update: March 19, 2018

The Pilot model GUI is still under testing. The Pilot linear actuator for the control valve was a little too  weak so it had to be replaced. The new linear actuator is a bit stronger but has a shorter stroke. Data gathering for the Pilot model will begin this week and should be finished by the end of the week. Then we will be writing the papers and presentations. Below is a picture of us installing a selfie stick to help capture the slug flow visualizations we need.

Update: April 6, 2018

We determined we had an issue with noise interfering with the signals of the top and middle pressure sensors. In order to fix this problem we had to install two capacitors to filter the power source. Derek also had to work over spring break to improve the valve design. The old design of the valve was creating a moment arm and creating additional delay. It was also wearing the valve out. The team got together this week and made all of the corrections. The model works as designed. We finished gathering all of the data and are currently writing papers and creating presentations. Cheers!